Saturday 16 April 2011

Erm...

OK, I'll be honest from the off. I mean, we don't want to start this relationship with false pretences. Mum always told me the key to a long stable relationship is honesty. My reasons for doing this blog is yet unknown. It will be art, design and architecture based with intermittent ramblings about how good / shit certain things I see or read are. I also like animals; there may be occasional postings about fucking cool animals.

Anyway, enough about my vague intentions. I'll thought I'll kick of the blog with the inspiration for my ridiculously contrived blog name: Archigram.

Ron Herron - Walking City

Started in the AA [Architectural Association for all you Philistines] in the 60's by Peter Cook, Warren Chalk, Ron Herron, Dennis Crompton, Michael Webb and David Greene. They were responsible for blowing up modern architecture and making the most avante-garde gestures in a time of sterility in the profession. I mean, completely out-there ideas. 5AM hallucinogenically-fuelled ideas that you and your mate Ian had at Uni. The picture above is a walking city for fuck sake!

The fundamental difference between Ron Herron and the hypothetical Ian is that Ron Herron came with the idea due to cities being too stagnant to take advantage of fluctuating locations of the world's resources and can draw, and Ian struggles with the concept of gravity as a pulling force and the closest he got to drawing was compositional series of penises on the inside of public toilets.

Due to the current social change in the air, as it was in the 60's, the time is right to bring back the ethos of Archigram, that spark of radicalism in design that triggers, fuels and fundamentally changes the social fabric. So remember kids, next time your on a bender, remember to keep a pen and paper handy.

AL//